About Me

My photo
Hi dolls! Welcome to my blog, my name is Katie & I love to read! Here you'll mainly find lots of book reviews & suggestions! Along with makeup tips, fashion finds, & a passion for photography & home décor!

Amore

Amore

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Divergent by Veronica Roth


Summary: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.


Rating: ***** (5 Stars)
Review: Ok, so if you're like me and late getting on the bandwagon you probably thought this was just another Hunger Games. My husband told me about this book a year ago & to be honest I had no interest. I had read the first book in the Hunger Games series and while I didn't hate it, I didn't love it either. But enough about that book - I knew Divergent was another dystopian series & I didn't think I'd be into it. Boy was I wrong! I seriously read this book in less than a week. I couldn't put it down and when I was forced to (by having to eat, work, or shower) all I did was look forward to the next time I could pick it up again. Having lived in a suburb of Chicago myself for years it was really cool to know the locations described in the book and be able to picture exactly what was going on. I loved the deeper meaning throughout this story: how these human virtues are singled out and defined. It shows the good and bad of each, as well as the consequential aftermath. We are shown the impact and power of these values combined. I haven't picked up the second book in the series but have it on my to do list!



2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this trilogy of books! A middle school english teaher recommended the first book to me about a year ago. She said if you liked The Hunger Games, you'll love Divergent and she was right! I'll be honest, I'm a little aprehensive about the movie. I'm not real thrilled about some of the casting I've seen so far. But I'll hold off all judgement until I go see it in March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! I'm hoping the movie lives up to this book! I'm itching to read the second one!

    ReplyDelete